Photos by myself
This particular experimentation with savory vegan dishes yielded some of the best results of all time. Taken from the wonderful Nourish and Evolve, also one of my favorite nutritious food bloggers, this recipe is simple, but what really is necessary is the amount of skill and effort required for preparing each portion. It’s not quite as simple as it looks (for an amateur cook like me)! However, when cooked right, the end result is so devastatingly yummy I suggest preparing a large serving for each person so they don’t demand for more. This dish would likely satisfy a wide variety of palates as my mom and dad both enjoyed it immensely. A rare occurrence due to the fact that my mom loves light, healthy foods whereas my dad prefers something more substantial and heavy.
In the directions below, I have modified the original recipe to suit my own tastes. As I especially love thick sauces, I made a healthy amount so the noodles were coated completely with sauce to spare.
250g rice noodles
1 head of broccoli
3 large squares of tofu
5 tbsp cornflour
5 pinches of salt
3/4-1 cup peanut butter
3-4 tbsp soy sauce
1/2 cup canned coconut milk
1/2 tbsp sugar
salt to taste
1. Boil the vermicelli noodles, drain, divide into 3 bowls and set aside.
2. Chop the head of broccoli and boil the pieces in salt water for about 3 minutes. Divide among 3 bowls.
3. Slice the tofu into bite-sized cubes.
4. Combine cornflour and salt in a dish.
5. Add tofu cubes into the dish and coat them completely. Add more cornflour & salt if necessary.
6. Using a non-stick pan, fry the tofu cubes on each side with extra virgin olive oil on low heat. These cook rather slowly, so leave each side on the pan for ample time until the cornflour coating is hardened and lightly browned. Divide up the cubes into the 3 bowls when done.
7. Blend the peanut butter, soy sauce, coconut milk, sugar and salt together, thinning out with water to the desired consistency and taste you want. I like my sauce thick, so I went with a large fraction of peanut butter.
8. Pour in the sauce over each bowl of noodles. Mix well and serve.
Other social media: