Photos by myself
The other day I was feeling particularly ravenous, and my usual guacamole and crackers for lunch wasn’t going to cut it, so I rummaged around in my food cabinet and found a can of chickpeas. The first thought that came into my mind was hummus! (My greatest weakness.) Inspired by a colorful snack I had noticed earlier on instagram of baked bell peppers, I decided to include those as a side as well. This turned out to be one of the healthiest and most filling meals I’ve ever had and I can’t emphasize how heavenly the freshly blended hummus tasted. Perfect as a snack, appetizer or even a small meal, enjoy this wonderful blend of vegan goodness.
2 small avocados
150g canned chickpeas
1 clove garlic, smashed
salt and black pepper to taste
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
3 bell peppers
extra-virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1. Slice the bell peppers and coat them in a mixture of olive oil, salt and pepper.
2. Lay them out on baking trays evenly.
3. Bake at 170 degrees Celsius for 45 minutes.
4. De-seed the avocados and scoop out the flesh into a blender.
5. Squeeze the juice from one lemon and add that to the blender. Add chickpeas, coriander, garlic, salt and pepper. Add olive oil.
6. Blend the mixture on low until smooth.
7. Serve hummus with baked bell peppers and crackers as sides.
Other social media: